History of Lourdes School of Mandaluyong


The establishment of Lourdes School of Mandaluyong was the result of the ambitious missionary zeal of the Capuchin friars in the Philippines who saw education of young people as a viable apostolate in the Philippines. Arriving in the Philippines in 1886, they first settled in Intramuros and later in Quezon City during which the Ortigas family was under their spiritual guidance. In grateful appreciation, the Ortigas family offered the Fathers assistance and facilities and were able to acquire a three-hectare lot along Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong.



On October 4, 1958, the solemnity of St. Francis of Assisi, the chapel was opened to the faithful. The following May 1959, the cornerstone of the new building was laid by the late Very Reverend Father Adolfo de Echavarri, the superior of the Capuchins in the Philippines. His Eminence, the late Rufino J. Cardinal Santos blessed the L-Shaped structure- a combined chapel and school.


In 1959–1960 Lourdes School of Mandaluyong started with a hundred students in Grades One to Four. Rev. Fr. Gregorio Goicoechea, OFM Cap. was the first Headmaster. Enrolment increased with the opening of the new grade and year levels. This made the administrators put up new classrooms – 15 in 1962 and another 15 in 1966, and facilities like laboratories, a library, bigger administrative offices and a new speech laboratory with 50 booths.


The late 60’s saw the rise of the St. Francis Church and the construction of the new high school building, a new canteen, an air-conditioned library, a swimming pool, and a 521-seat air-conditioned auditorium. It was during this period that Fr. Jose Luis Arrieta, OFM Cap. made Christian Life Education the centerpiece of its curriculum and all its activities. The school also responded to this declaration with an outreach program, servicing/visiting depressed areas nearby and in the provinces. To this very day, outreach and solidarity activities define the core of LSM’s activities to minister to the poor spearheaded by the Social Action Office of the Campus Ministry.



The 1980’s marked more improvements. With the support of the PTA, the school was able to construct the shower and dressing rooms near the playground, the extension of the canteen, and the covered walk leading to the swimming pool area.



The Capuchin Order in the Philippines was proclaimed a Province in 1985. This proclamation challenged the Capuchin friars especially those in the school apostolate to provide the school community with the direction, mission and identity of Capuchin Franciscan schools to inspire them to embrace the Capuchin- Franciscan way of life. Thus, the Mission Statement of the Capuchin School Apostolate was born.In 1987, Fr. Edmundo A. Tiamson, OFM Cap.(LSM), with Fr. Dominic B. Abella, OFM Cap. (LSQC), formulated this Mission Statement which they presented to the Capuchin Brothers during the Easter Assembly in Tagaytay City in 1987. During the First Convivencia of School Administrators in April 1988 at Maryhill Retreat Center in Taytay, Rizal, this Mission Statement was presented and explained by Fr. Edmundo A. Tiamson,OFM Cap. Drawing inspiration from the new Mission Statement, administrators continued pursuing the path to excellence in Catholic Education. More developments followed. Thus, the Mission Statement of the Capuchin School Apostolate was born. In 1987, Fr. Edmundo A. Tiamson, OFM Cap. (LSM), with Fr. Dominic Abella, OFM Cap. (LSQC), formulated this mission statement which they presented to the Capuchin Brothers during the Easter Assembly in Tagaytay City in 1987. During the First Convivencia of School Administrators in April 1988 at Maryhill Retreat Center in Taytay, Rizal, this Mission Statement was presented and explained by Fr. Edmundo Tiamson, OFM Cap. Drawing inspiration from the new Mission Statement, administrators continued pursuing the path to excellence in Catholic Education. More developments followed.

During school year 1996-1997, two projects were completed with the involvement of the PTA – the deep well water project and the full air-conditioning of all classrooms in both the high school and elementary buildings. A multi-purpose hall with a tennis court on top was constructed alongside the covered walk going to the canteen during School Year 1998-1999. Giving in to the demand for kindergarten classes, two kindergarten sections were also started in the school year. In response to the past changing technological advancements, the school put up computer laboratories in both departments and has subscribed to the services of GENYO Learning Management System to provide the school community more enriched teaching learning experiences.



LSM continuously responds to the challenges of the time with its cumulative facility improvements. In 2007, the tennis court was converted into another gymnasium named after Padre Pio of Pietrelcina. In 2009, t he institution carried out more innovations and enhancements: an 80-seat St. Clare Audio-Visual Center in the HS Department; renovations of the canteen, swimming pool area, playground, Lourdes Hall, St. Francis Theatre, Bro. Juniper Square Garden of Saints and pavement, gates and perimeter fence and Grade School and High School buildings. An extension of the high school building now named after St. Lawrence of Brindisi, houses four classrooms, the HS library at the third floor, and the relocated Science Laboratories at the 4thfloor.The TLE (Technology and Livelihood Education) workshops which were located at the PaxEtBonum Building are now all clustered at the HS Building. In each classroom is installed an LCD/ television set. Teachers can also access on-line instructional resources through Wi-Fi connection using Yopads. It was in 2010 when the libraries of both the GS and HS departments started its automation program.


LSM considers its LEVEL II PAASCU accreditation, granted by the FAAP (Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines) in 2010,a recognition of its commitment to quality Catholic education.



From 2010 onwards, more physical facilities development initiatives in support of the school’s academic programs materialized as the school geared towards the challenges of curricular reforms. The renovation of the HS Faculty room and office lobby, the renovation of the HS Conference room, Subject Area Coordinators office and the different administrative offices in the high school department contributed to better work and learning environment for teachers and students. Classrooms dedicated to Music and Art classes, Drafting and Electronics classes in the St. Lawrence of Brindisi building provide for more conducive learning atmosphere.



The implementation of the K to 12 Basic Education Program paved the way for more school improvement projects. Included in the priority projects in terms of academic facilities were the renovation of classrooms at the Pax Et Bonum building. More building activities were undertaken such as the construction of the SHS administrative office, academic classrooms, computer laboratory and Cybernook, satellite library, SHS Faculty Room, science laboratories and speech laboratory. Offices such as the PRHRD office, the Alumni Office, the PTA Office and the Student Activity Office which were transferred to the Grade School Bldg were refurbished. Also, in a small garden at the HS grounds facing the football field near the general assembly area now stands the statue of St. Lawrence of Brindisi, as if beholding a vision of young Lourdesian gentlemen transforming in the spirit of gospel brotherhood and minority.


Alongside these efforts, Lourdes School of Mandaluyong is working towards a Franciscan pedagogy through a joint resolution of Lourdes School of Mandaluyong and Lourdes School Quezon City in 1998. Such pedagogy would shape and distinguish the characteristics and identity of Franciscan education.


For 55 years and still counting, LSM has become an educational landmark. And allthese years, LSM has remained true to its idealsof HOLINESS, EXCELLENCE and SERVICE. And this is our story: our humble beginnings, our continuing journey... our identity...lived by the countless graduates who are authentic witnesses to the school’s Vision, Mission and Philosophy: TO BECOME LIKE CHRIST!